Friday, February 7, 2014

2014 Self Tanner & Bronzer Picks!


For those of you that don't know me... I have very fair skin, even in the summertime! Self tanning lotions are my absolute best friend when it comes to having any color (besides being red). I have tried plenty of different ones that have given me a TON of different results (some more unfortunate than others). Therefore, I wanted to share my top picks with you so that we can all have gorgeous color without the long term effects of the sun.

Quick Fact: The melanin in our skin act like tiny little umbrellas. As the sun's UV rays travel toward our skin, the melanin goes into protection mode by absorbing/scattering the rays, therefore it isn't absorbed into our DNA (which is how cancer comes into the picture). Think about baseball players... they apply black beneath their eyes to absorb the sunlight so they can see better. So, in all truth, the color you get from sunbathing is your body in a frantic attempt to protect itself. 

Remember to shave/wax & exfoliate before applying any self tanners so that the color can develop evenly! Also, do not use any oil based products because they a) can remove your color quicker and b) if used prior to self tanning they could block the absorption of the tanning ingredient.




Jergens Natural Glow + Protect Daily Moisturizer Sunscreen SPF 20
Gradual self tanning body moisturizer with SPF 20 sun protection! This one is my favorite for daily moisturizers because the self tanner smell is minimal and the color came out really natural and even! I also like the SPF protection so that I can wear it outside in the spring/summer and not have to worry about also having to apply sunscreen.



Hempz Touch of Summer Daily Moisturizer
Formulated with 100% pure natural hempseed oil and paraben, gluten and THC drug free! I love this one in the spring and summer because of the fruity fragrance (didn't notice the DHA smell at all) and light shimmer. It also makes my skin feel really soft and hydrated! 



bareMinerals Faux Tan Body Sunless Tanner
Paraben and artificial oils free! I used the body brush (which is sold separate) but it really helped even it out and the color turned out gorgeous! It gives a healthy golden glow without being too bronze/orange or muddy/gray. I definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone.



Kate Somerville 360 Face & Body Self Tanning Pad Duo
Formulated without- Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Dyes, Petrochemicals, Phthalates, GMOs or Triclosan. Age defying and hydrating towelettes that develop natural looking and streak free color within 2 hours! The color was really nice and easy to build up without streaks. I really liked the consistency of the towelette, it was more water based than oil and dried quickly. There was definitely enough for my entire body in just one of the towelettes. 



ST. TROPEZ TANNING ESSENTIALS Self Tan Bronzing Spray
Formulated without- Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates, GMOs or Triclosan. I liked the color (develops within 4 hours or so) which had more of an olive tone as well as the easy to control spray. Be sure to wipe the spray nozzle with alcohol after use to avoid clogging for the next time (not a fun surprise)! The only down side to this is the price, but if that's not an issue for you then it's a really great self tanner!




Victoria's Secret Beach Sexy Flawless Airbrush Instant Bronze Body Spray
Streak free application with natural aloe and bronze tint! I LOVE this stuff for my legs in the summer and it smells amazing! I haven't used it for my whole body only because the color is pretty golden/bronze so it doesn't look as natural (on me), but it looks great on legs for an extra kick of color before a night out! For best results use a self tanning mitt!



South Seas Island Glow Body Bronzer
Paraben free body bronzer! This always has and probably will always be my favorite bronzer! I mainly use this during the summer when I have already gotten color because there isn't any DHA in it (it's more of a tan enhancer). The smell is light and fruity and it has a little shimmer to it so it looks amazing day or night! I like to mix this with the South Seas Beach Bling Shimmer Lotion to bring down the color which gives my skin a really pretty glow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment